A man suspected to have shot and killed two Swedish nationals and injured a third person in Brussels on Monday evening is believed to have been caught on CCTV camera just moments before being shot by police. The suspect has since died in hospitals from his injuries.
Footage shows a man wearing an orange high-visibility jacket standing behind a car.
The man can then be seen crouching down, while apparently holding a weapon.
The footage cuts off, but Belgium’s media reported the suspected assailant left the scene afterwards to enter a cafe in the Schaerbeek neighbourhood.
The manhunt sparked by the deadly attack on the two Swedes ended after police shot the suspect in the cafe.
The man was taken to hospital in an ambulance, but died from his wounds.
Officials suggested the person who died is likely to be the gunman who carried out the latest suspected terror attack in Europe.
Interior Minister Annelies Verlinden posted on X, formerly Twitter: “The perpetrator of the terrorist attack in Brussels has been identified and died.”
The prosecutor’s spokesperson, Eric Van Duyse, said there was “a strong certainty that it is the aggressor”.
An automatic firearm that corresponded to the one used in Monday’s attack was found nearby, he added.
The harrowing attack was carried out as thousands of Swedish nationals flocked to Brussels for the EURO 2024 qualifier match between Belgium and Sweden – which was abandoned at half-time due to the killing.
The attacker had been identified by Belgian authorities as a man of Tunisian origin who was living in the country illegally after his asylum claim had been rejected.
The suspect was known to the police, including for suspected human trafficking and threats to national security, Belgium’s Justice Minister Vincent Van Quickenborne said.
Belgium’s Prime Minister Alexander De Croo slammed the shooting of the football fans as a “brutal terrorist attack” and expressed his condolences to the victims’ loved ones.
Belgium’s Crisis Centre said the shooting that happened in Sainctelette square had a “possible terrorist motive”.
The terrorist alert level for Brussels was raised to its highest, four, in the wake of the attack – for the first time since 35 people were killed in the city in Islamic State terrorist attacks in 2016.
Following the attack on the football fans, a person took to social media to share a video in which he claimed responsibility for the attack and said to have killed people in the name of God.
Police are looking for a possible accomplice of the gunman who filmed another video showing a man in an orange jacket firing five shots before following people fleeing into a building and shooting again.